There are many commercial spice mixes available, but I enjoy experimenting with my own. If you want to try a basic Cape Cod spice mix, here’s mine.
A wonderful go-to Cape Cod spice mix that produces beautiful copper colored fish fillets. Add cayenne pepper for extra kick. Great on any kind of fish but especially Atlantic Cod and Redfish.
For the Cape Cod Spice Mix
- 2 tbsp salt
- 2 tbsp paprika
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp ground coriander
For the Fish
- 12 oz of any kind of fish
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp butter
- Combine spices in a small bowl.
- Bring fish to room temperature, place on a plate and apply spice mixture to both sides. Begin with modest amounts of spice mixture until you get a feel for the proper amount to suit your taste.
- Place frying pan on the stove. Add your oil and butter and bring up to a medium temperature.
- When the oil is medium temperature place several spice coated fish portions in the oil and cook gently for about four minutes per side for one inch thick fish portions.
- Remove fish from fry pan and place cooked fish on a platter in a warm oven.
- Serve with a squeeze of lemon.
- Recommended Utensils – Pan for frying, plate for applying spice mixture, spatula for turning fish, and oven proof platter for keeping cooked fish in a warm oven.
- Wine Pairing – If you wish to enjoy a glass of wine with your fish, Pinot Grigio may be a good choice.
- Cuisine:New England